Lodgers and sub-letting

Can I sub-let my whole property?

No – this is not allowed under your tenancy agreement.

Can I have a lodger/sub-tenant?

Yes – as long as you do not over-crowd the property or sub-let the entire property then you can have a lodger.

If you are thinking about taking in a lodger, there's a few things to think about first.

Read our Taking in a lodger checklist here.

If you are claiming housing benefit or Universal Credit you must inform the housing benefit department at your local council if you take in a lodger as this can affect the benefit.

You must also contact us to inform us of your lodger’s details, including:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Gender
  • Relationship to you (if any)