Skip to content

If you’re looking for a home to buy, we’re here to help.

We offer properties through the Shared Ownership and Rent to Buy schemes, for those aspiring to own their own home. This page gives an introduction to buying a home with Stonewater.

For more information and to view homes to buy, visit Stonewater Homes - our dedicated website for leaseholders.

Jump to:

What is Shared Ownership?

Sometimes known as ‘Part Rent, Part Buy’, Shared Ownership is a home ownership scheme that many housing associations offer. It allows you to buy a share of a property, subject to affordability and eligibility, and pay rent on the remainder.

The more of the property you own, the less rent you pay. You can increase your shares over time, known as “staircasing”, and on most leases where there aren’t any restrictions, you can work your way up to 100% ownership. 

Learn more about Shared Ownership on Stonewater Homes.

You can also find out more about Shared Ownership at Stonewater in this podcast episode.

What is Rent to Buy?

Rent to Buy is a scheme that allows you to rent a home and pay  80% of the market rent, so you can save the remaining 20% towards a deposit to buy that same home eventually.

With  the Rent to Buy scheme, we let our homes to applicants on the scheme for a period of 5 years, giving you plenty of time to build up your deposit. We check in regularly to ensure you are making progress towards saving your deposit and ensure you are still wanting to buy the home at a later date. The idea is simple – rent now to buy the home you know and love later.

Learn more about Rent to Buy on Stonewater Homes


Who can buy a home with Stonewater?

There are a number of criteria you must meet to be eligible to buy a Stonewater home, that are set by Government, not Stonewater.

For example, you must not be able to afford a suitable property that fulfils your needs on the open market or have a household income that exceeds a certain limit. You must also have enough savings to cover solicitor fees and the general expenses of moving.

Check your eligibility on Stonewater Homes

CGI shot of large detached house on the corner of the street, with sun shining on left side

Find a home to buy

We list all of our homes to buy on Stonewater Homes – our dedicated website. Browse homes for Shared Ownership and Rent to Buy.

See our homes