Changes to the outside of your home
Can I put up fencing?
Yes – as long as you follow these criteria:
- The fence must be in keeping with the property / estate
- The fence must be installed on your side of the boundary
- The fence must be no higher than 6ft
- You are aware that you are responsible for all future repair/replacement
- You have checked that there are no planning restrictions in place (you can check this at www.planningportal.co.uk and follow link to interactive house and/or check with your local planning office)
Can I put up a shed or greenhouse?
Yes - you may put up a shed or greenhouse in your own garden, as long as you stick to these criteria:
- It is no bigger than 8x6 ft
- You accept responsibility for the upkeep of the shed/greenhouse
- It does not lean against a neighbours fence or property
- You are aware that you may be asked to remove this at the end of your tenancy
Please note that if these criteria are not met, we will need to ask you to remove the shed or greenhouse.
Can I put a water butt in my garden?
Yes, but please be aware that it will then be your responsibility to maintain it and you may be asked to remove it at the end of your tenancy.
If there was already a water butt in my garden when I moved in, can I remove it?
Yes, if there is already a water butt in your garden, this will usually have been gifted to you when you moved in so you can remove it if you wish.