Changes to the inside of your home

Can I get cavity or loft insulation?

Not at the moment – Stonewater is currently negotiating a master Energy Savings Performance Agreement with Anesco Energy Services, which would potentially enable us to add any suitable scheme from our portfolio for an all inclusive consideration of energy saving solutions.

By packaging up combinations of measures, this can release additional funding and subsidise our planned maintenance programme. For example, cavity insulation may be a qualifying criteria to receive money towards gas boiler upgrades or renewable heating systems.

We are currently analysing our stock to ensure we target those that are most in need first. Secondly we want to ensure the quality and consistency of new installations. Last, but by no means least, we are striving to obtain the best value in improving the energy efficiency of your home.

Can I change my gas or electric provider/meter?

Yes – you don't need our permission to do this. All changes are between you and the utility company so you will need to contact them directly.

If you need to know who supplies your gas you should contact the Meter Point Administration Service on 0870 608 1524.

If you need to know who provides your electric you should contact the number below based on your location:

North Scotland - 0345 026 2554
Central and South Scotland - 0330 1010 300
Eastern England - 0845 6015 467
London - 0845 6015 467
North East England - 0845 6013 268
North West England - 0870 7510 093
South East England - 0845 6015 467
South England - 0845 0262 554
South West England, South Wales, West and East Midlands - 0845 6015 972

Can I redecorate my property or put up shelving and pictures?

Yes – it’s fine to paint or wallpaper your property, as long as the colours you choose can be easily painted over (no very dark or very bright colours) by any future residents.

However, if the property is less than 12 months old, you must only use emulsion and should not wallpaper or use gloss paint until after the final defect check, due to the possibility of cracks forming in the plaster.

It's also fine to fit pictures and shelving. This is your home and we want it to feel that way. However, you will need to ensure that they are removed at the end of the tenancy and any holes in the walls filled in.

Please be considerate when carrying out DIY, ensuring that any drilling and hammering is carried out at a reasonable time of day (our Anti-social behaviour team advise between 8am and 9pm)

Can I lay my own flooring or replace internal doors?

Yes, you can lay flooring in your kitchen and bathroom as long as it is to at least the standard that was fitted by Stonewater.

We would also recommend that you choose non-slip flooring, particularly in bathrooms. In the rest of your home, you can lay carpet, laminate or lino as you see fit. Please note that is then your responsibility to maintain and repair any flooring you have fitted.

You can also replace internal doors- however there are a few things you need to be aware of:

  • Fire doors – If there are any fire doors within the property then any replacement needs to be of the same standard
  • Any glazed doors that you fit must have the required safety glass
  • Doors that are removed need to be kept, as these may need to be reinstated at the end of the tenancy. If the doors are not retained and the replacement are not of the required standard then you will be recharged for this cost
Can I undertake a large improvement to my home e.g. new kitchen, shower, decking, conservatory, etc?

This sort of large scale change will need to be discussed with your Stonewater surveyor first. Please contact us to have a proper discussion about your plans and to seek permission.