Alterations and home improvements

alterations and improvements.png

Home improvements

We want you to feel at home in your property and have the freedom to make some additions and changes.

Depending on the terms of your tenancy agreement you may be able to make certain improvements or alterations to your home, but there will be times you’ll need to get written permission from us before you start work.

You may need permission to: put up a satellite dish, replace a kitchen or change electric fittings.

Our planned improvements

We carry out a programme of planned works to maintain and improve your home.

As your home gets older we may need to replace or improve things such as bathrooms, kitchens, heating installations and double glazing.

Every year we plan which homes need items replaced due to their age and condition. To do this we plan improvements on the basis of the information held on our Stock Condition Database (a tool we use to look at the current equipment and fittings in our homes and predict when these may need to be replaced and the cost of doing this).

Your right to compensation for improvements you carry out

You have the right to claim back compensation for certain improvements which you make to your home. We pay this compensation when your tenancy ends, as long as those improvements were made after 1st April 1994.

A list of agreed improvements and further details can be found at

Aids & adaptations

We aim to help you live as independently as possible. One of the ways we can do this is by funding certain aids and adaptations to your home so that you can live more comfortably and maintain your independence for longer.

There are a range of services and simple adaptations such as; grab rails, stair lifts and ramps that we can offer, and we’ll work closely with you to find the options that best suit you.