Skip to content

Why do I need contents insurance?

All homes owned by Stonewater (except for leasehold properties where the cover is provided by any management agent in place) are covered by buildings insurance as standard, which is arranged and paid for by Stonewater.

This covers damage to the structure, fixtures and fittings inside all our homes. It doesn’t cover damage to any contents, however this is caused - for example, damage by flood from a burst pipe or a fire.

That’s why it’s important to think about home contents insurance. Home contents insurance is there to help protect your possessions.

No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen, so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Please note: We suggest that you look for providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Read on to find out more about My Home Contents Insurance for social housing tenants, run by Thistle Tenant Risks. However there are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites like Money Supermarket or Compare the Market.

My Home Contents Insurance scheme

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, the National Housing Federation has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks and Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited to provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme* - a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.

This can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

To find out more, visit Thistle My Home or watch the video below.

You can also call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288 or request a call back.

About NHF

The National Housing Federation (NHF) working in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419.

Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group. Read the Data Protection Privacy Policy.

National Housing Federation logo