Skip to content

If you smell gas or suspect a gas leak, call the National Gas Emergency number on 0800 111 999.

If you know where the gas supply is, switch it off.

Once you have reported the gas leak, please contact us on 01202 319 119.

Jump to:

Our responsibilities

To help keep you and your home safe, we do a check of your home to make sure any gas appliances you have are working safely. 

You can help us to keep you safe by doing your best to keep your appointment with us for your gas inspection, and by letting us in when we visit. If you think you can’t make your appointment, let us know so we can rearrange it for you. 

We’ll contact you in writing two months before your inspection is due to organise an appointment with a gas safe registered engineer. We’ll also inspect and test your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors when we visit. 

If we’re unable to get into your home to carry out these important checks, we may seek legal action so that we can get in and make sure you and your neighbours are safe. If this happens, you may be liable for these costs

Your responsibilities


  • use a gas appliance if you think it’s not working properly
  • cover an appliance with anything
  • block or obstruct any fixed ventilation grilles or airbricks
  • block or cover outside flues

If you’re a leaseholder or shared owner, you must keep your gas appliances in good condition. You should appoint a registered Gas Safe engineer to do an annual gas safety inspection of any gas appliances in your home. If you sublet your home, this is a legal requirement. 

You can find a qualified gas engineer in your area by searching the Gas Safe Register

What to do in an emergency

If you suspect there is a gas leak: 

  • open all doors and windows straight away
  • shut off the gas supply at the mains (a large lever usually next to the gas meter)
  • call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
  • don't smoke or light matches, lighters and cigarettes
  • don't turn electrical switches on or off 

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak: 

  • open all doors and windows straight away
  • shut off the gas supply at the mains (a large lever usually next to the gas meter)
  • call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
  • contact us so we can arrange for a safety inspection (you can also get in touch via MyHome)

Carbon monoxide – know the danger signs

Appliances that are faulty can leak carbon monoxide - an invisible and odourless poisonous gas which can kill in a matter of hours. 

The signs of a carbon monoxide leak include: 

  • yellow or orange flames (except for fuel effect fires) - flames should normally be blue
  • soot or stains around the appliance 
  • pilot lights that frequently go out

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: 

  • tiredness
  • drowsiness
  • headache 
  • nausea 
  • chest pains 
  • stomach pains
  • feeling confused 

These symptoms can easily be confused with flu-like symptoms or tiredness. 

If you suspect you or someone else is suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide, switch off any fuel-burning appliances and seek urgent medical help straight away. 

More information

Report a safety concern

If you’re worried about gas safety or have other building safety concerns, please contact us at